Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Jewish Advocate on the Statement of Principles

The newspaper that covers Boston Jewish life, The Jewish Advocate, has an article this week on the Statement of Principles. As someone who was one of the first to sign the Statement and as a local Boston rabbi I was interviewed for the article. The newspaper only allows access to its articles by subscription so I can only post a few quotes but I encourage those who are in the greater Boston area to subscribe to the Advocate and support a local institution if you have not done so already:

Orthodox Rabbi Benjamin Greenberg of Harvard Hillel – who signed the letter along with his wife, Sharon Weiss-Greenberg– said: “My hope is that any GLBT Jew who is struggling with their orientation will see this letter and realize, ‘There are rabbis who are willing to hear me and will welcome me. I can be who I am.’”

Greenberg said he hoped the letter would help ease the crisis of identity and level of depression among young Orthodox Jews. “I think this letter clearly states the person is to be fully embraced; it’s not just lip service,” he said.

Sharon Weiss-Greenberg said she hoped the letter would spur further acceptance of gays. “Many [Orthodox] communities are at this stage or well beyond this stage, but there are some communities that could learn,” she said. “Leaders in the community should be treating everyone equally, giving someone a hug or inviting someone to your house and showing you’re accepting.”

The full article (subscriber access only) can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment